Sunday, June 27, 2010

End of Indentured Servitude

The senior dinner was at Maggiano's and gathered attendings together with the residents. We had an influx of preggers-people: L-R: George's wife Anne, Sonia, Nancy, Sandra (Pharmacy), me and Shuba (attending). I'm due first!


The senior class in attendance

The Gala was at the Hilton Back Bay this year and a pretty grand affair for medical folks used to Dunkin'. The highlight of the event is the video produced by the intern class to roast the seniors and it was well done this year- excellent impressions of Nico (one of our chiefs), Sonia and Arun. I can't wait to put a link up on the post- just waiting for it to make it to Youtube.

Meredith and Nicole looking lovely.

Amarals (private practice in Boston) and Panigrahis (Heme Onc fellowship in Chicago)

Rachel Bagelman (hospitalist in DC) and me

Shana (rising chief resident), Rachel and me

The class (I'm hiding in the back)

Mike (heme onc fellowship- Denver) and I present faculty awards.
I love medical folks. They are often the smartest people in the room who also happen to care the most. This is especially true in Pediatrics. Residency is a formative time and medicine is one of the few professions that allows such personal and intellectual growth throughout life.
I know I've made mistakes, fortunately none that have killed a patient, although most often the fallout from smaller mistakes in the medical establishment is not as clear-cut as life and death. Residency is a necessary evil in which the trainee must make mistakes from time to time, must be forced to think independently and accept responsibility for her actions.
I will miss the transition between areas- to work in the ICU one day and the next get to see a pregnant teenager in clinic, or learn the intricacies of a subspecialty. The intellectual challenge never ends! I will also miss all my Tufts buddies- great residents, smart people. Residency is an experience where you are forced into a strong alliance of support and dependence on a select few colleagues (especially in a small program like Tufts) and rely on their support. They've seen me at my worst and are still always up for kvetching over coffee, dinner, 2 AM Au Bon Pain in the ER!

No comments:

Post a Comment