Sunday, September 19, 2010

Yay for Eric watching baby so I can go to Starbucks and blog

I wanted to catalog all the wonderful folks who have come to visit us in the last month.
I am missing some from Boston and Dallas when my absent brain forgot to take a picture or I took photos on my phone and then didn't transfer to the computer.
But first, some funny pictures.

Look at my weird grin!
Again, the changing table is the best place in the world to be.

Dad with baby in the wrap. Everyone is hilarious.


Dr. Feliciano looking fantastic with Hal back in Boston.



My DEAR Aunts Jan and Jerry came to visit and dispensed VALUABLE advice, gifts, and food for our move into our new house! I have Jerry's noise machine still and need to deliver it back- miracle of miracles.










Dr. Lisa Natkin (my preceptor the last 3 years and purveyor of great pediatric advice) with her baby David whom she and her husband just adopted from Ohio after a long and arduous process. Big congratulations to her family.






Who is this guy? Mutually expressed.


My sorority sister and Eric's fellow Veritone, Mary Ellen Player and her mother stopped by our new house on their long drive from Manhattan to San Francisco where Merp is attending Stanford Business School. Wow- did they look elegant for a road trip and travelling in a red Mini Cooper, no less. That morning we emptied a storage unit and my parents' attic (we are mooching furniture BIG TIME) so we were smelly and ragged in comparison.


Mary Ellen and her mom. VERY sweet of them to come see us and have lunch.

My cousin, Julie and her daughter Ashley drove south to bring us lunch, some wonderful Chicken Parmesan for dinner and to visit. Ashley is showing off her doll toy and looking very cute in pink. I am so blessed to have such great cousins who are welcoming me back to Dallas- I am excited that Hal will have them in his list of compadres.


An attempt at taking a picture of all of us together...



My cousin Ashley also came south bringing her babies Graham and Anna, also known as the most photogenic children on the planet.
One of the rough things about doctorhood is that few women are having babies as young as I, and it is so wonderful to be able to talk to Ashley and Julie. I feel quite insane and unorganized at times, but being near family and hearing their stories, laughing at mishaps and day to day difficulties makes me feel better about the job I'm doing. I can confidently tell Hal that we'll make it through infanthood!
The learning curve is intense.

Anna being a cool cucumber, chillin with some apple and Hal.
Another quick note: perhaps it is the lack of reliable sleep or stressful moments that make me emotional. But as I study for my pediatric boards, I find it harder to get through the chapters on child abuse and to see infants saddled with terrible deformities and disease.
Having a baby, a lovely beautiful baby boy, has made me that much more sensitive to the pain of other parents and to the tragedies that befall innocent infants next door, down the street, in even our affluent communities.
I have more of an appreciation, and I have to say I am so thankful I did not have a baby earlier in my career as my time in the PICU and the ED, watching real children die or suffer and their parents become hollow inside, would have affected me more deeply and made caring for them as an inexperienced and detached resident more difficult. That being said, I'm not sure my care for these children would have been better. It is a blessing sometimes to be able to think abstractly and create a callous barrier in order to code that child effectively or perform that painful procedure.
Nevertheless, general peds here I come!
Wish me luck on my pediatric boards- a low pass rate and staggering amount of knowledge to master will make me shake in my boots (it will be time to wear boots- October 18).









2 comments:

  1. You are too funny with the boots comment. You're doing a fabulous job with baby Hal, he is so sweet! We loved seeing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing these pics! Who knew Dallas would be medieval in internet progress!

    ReplyDelete