Boston was no good for trick or treaters unless you count urban college kids dressed like you-know-whats peeing in our doorway. Trick much?
This year, we were prepared for only a few (as our neighborhood has lots of orthodox Jews who apparently don't trick or treat.) But Eric encouraged as many folks as he could by building the cannibal pumpkin:
We covered the doorbell and one held the dog while the other ran to pre-empt any vigorous knocking.
Hal was a cow at the neighborhood party and we forgot his little "Eat Mor Chikin" sign so you'll have to take my word that it was darling. My pictures, however, are not. My mom and dad tried to get a picture with him together but they were all kind of bad.
Another big event this week: I began working. So one of the huge blessings about being in Dallas is that I could join my dad's practice (there are 4 partners and one associate - I will now be a second associate). It is an amazing opportunity as Pediatricians of Dallas is an excellent practice.
I realize it more now that I work there. If I had a boring or tedious or odious job, leaving baby for work would be difficult and I would wile away the hours thinking of what I am missing. Thank the Good Lord I am a doctor. Yes, in a few years I may groan at yet another ear infection, but at present, it is great fun.
I am my own boss for the first time (no attending to report to), and I can do doctoring 90% of the time instead of wasting my time on extra paperwork, tracking down numbers or flu shots or testing controls on the stupid rapid strep thingy. Its fabulous.
I am still very nervous about treating patients on my own, about calling the shots and making mistakes. Also about seeing a heavy volume and learning the ropes at the 3! hospitals at which I have privileges.
A good example this week: I saw a 6 month old with a fever and a large abscess in a bad place. I lanced it, causing the baby much pain and the mom many tears. I cannot say she was happy with me- she left very peeved and tearful because I directly held her beautiful baby down and caused pain. I also gave very bad tasting medicine.
But when we followed up on saturday, the baby was 100% better and I was thrilled to see both parents happy and thankful. If I were in residency, the fact that I had a superior would have caused doubt in the parents' minds that I
-a. knew what I was doing
-b. was the best person for the job
-c. needed to perform the procedure
As it was, I worked hard to gain confidence and spared the baby a trip to the ER or hospitalization which were likely necessary if they waited another day or two.
Needless to say, these things are satisfying.
MORE importantly, however, is the massive blessing my mom has bestowed upon me.
She is watching Hal during these first few months- perhaps much longer (but we are keeping options open for her sanity!)
What a relief to leave my baby with my mom to love on him all day!
This is probably the greatest gift she has given me after my education (and the sort of untangibles like religion and love etc etc)
He is one lucky baby. Its a hard job and he is not the easiest baby- needs lots of face time and entertainment, easily frustrated by unmastered skills. On the other hand, he's darling and sweet and loves loves loves attention.
Thank you, mom!!!
Is it ok if I never do tummy time and leave it up to you? You can give him his vitamins and take him to get his shots also. And teach him to share when the time comes. And ground him when he wrecks the car. OK?
Thanks.
Just kidding.
Sort of.
No comments:
Post a Comment