Saturday, May 15, 2010

An exercise in frustration

Well, this week was not a good one for interesting pictures. Eric was working in NYC, continually fulfilling his mantra "Never go to New York on your own dime" and spending long long hours with his team.
I've been studying and hanging out, sadly finding myself with the usual Braxton Hicks contractions steadily increasing to every 5 minutes while at rest on Wednesday. Naturally I was a bit alarmed and the OB suggested I come in. Late Wednesday night I stayed in the LDR for ~5 hours while they checked me out.
It was weird looking at the monitors with all the women contracting and seeing my own preterm contractions in the same pattern (with less intensity of course). I spent the entire time trying to arrange dog sitting with Eric out of town.
Luckily, I was not progressing and the contractions were not becoming more frequent. They sent me home to the poor dog with the instructions to lie flat for 2 days following a negative fetal fibronectin test and they faded slowly. I was contracting everytime I even adjusted myself on the couch to reach my water glass!

So now I still have those pesky Braxton-Hicks but they are only when standing and moving around alot and are much less organized. I am prohibited from exercise which makes me very sad- I had been so happy going to the gym and doing Pilates, walking around the river and hiking on weekends. And I am instructed not to be standing while at work. Ha! Night shifts in the ED will be fun. I think I'll just roll from room to room on a stool. God forbid there's a code or transport.

That was too much information. And not enough humor.
I think Tex thinks this is hilarious- he spent the time in the hospital kicking the monitors and they had to keep adjusting them.
The nurses were great (much nicer when you're the patient, not the pediatrician). And thank you for everyone who was worried and thinking of us, praying for us. Its funny to think this will be such a welcome sensation in only 6 weeks or so! Tex needs some more alveoli first. A few bits of the bronchial tree left to develop, and lots of subcutaneous fat.
Speaking of which, I think I need some pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment