After Hal got over the awesome 5-6 day fever event a few weeks ago, he had RSV. (respiratory synctial virus). It was fairly clear from the gobs coming from his nose and eyes that RSV was not going to be a party and I got to experience firsthand what parents of patients had complained about for a few years to me. We had sleepless nights and tooek turns counting his respiratory rate as he was wheezing and a bit noisy sounding, but all was well and Hal recovered nicely. A couple with a 5 week old we admitted for RSV bronchiolitis asked me how he was when I went to examine him in the hospital and, sadly, I got to admit that the 8 month old was doing much better while their 5 week old was in the hospital, on oxygen, etc.etc... Its tough being born in the winter! I warn patients that the cough may last up to 6 weeks (or, truthfully, more if they had a rough course) and shore nuff, baby is coughing a bit still. But smiley and happy and saying "mama" and "dada" and having a great time. Eric has become ambitious about landscaping and is hanging in the backyard, in the rain, marking his gravel walkway. When we're not working on weekends, they are so marvelous!! Friday night, we hosted the Gails (David who went to high school with me and his wife Sara and their baby Jacob) and the pregnant Slades (Katy and Jared who went to Harvard with us and Katy went to Hockaday with Sara). It was a great evening outside, a summery meal- and we rushed to get those babies to bed! Sara took a great video of Hal and Jacob on the piano, but I need to ask permission to post. In the meantime, a video I already put on Facebook, but these are slow days...
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I don't know where my paragraphs went.
ReplyDelete